We recently received the following question from a registered attendee during our ACHE Cluster session, Strategic Planning from Formulation to Action, in San Antonio:
In a hospital or health system, how do you broadly engage physicians in the strategic planning process?
Physicians are integral to the strategic planning process, and multiple options exist for engaging them effectively in the planning activities. We recommend implementing some or all of the following efforts:
- Include them on the steering committee
- Solicit input from them as part of the interview process
- Survey the entire medical staff for input using an online survey tool
- Include them in retreats
- Communicate with them regarding emerging recommendations
- Engage them as co-champions in charge of a major goal area of the strategic plan (e.g., quality, physician alignment)
- Make them sponsors of major initiatives and action plans
- Seek their input regarding the final plan
Have you tried any of these methods before? How were they received by your physicians?