Evaluating Strategic Growth for “Jefferson at the Navy Yard”
Jefferson Health’s clinical enterprise, based in Philadelphia, PA, is comprised of a 900-bed academic medical center, six additional acute care hospitals, several large community physician groups and Jefferson faculty physicians, and a regional network of primary and specialty ambulatory care centers and programs.
To determine if and how Jefferson’s ambulatory care operations at the Philadelphia Naval Yard, a 1,200-acre commercial and planned residential development site in South Philadelphia, should be expanded and better integrated. A time-limited opportunity to pursue these aims arose when Jefferson was offered the chance to assume the remainder (and majority of space) in an attractive, convenient, and high-visibility building. Jefferson already occupied space in the building, in addition to operating other ambulatory sites at the expansive and rapidly growing Navy Yard complex.
Veralon helped Jefferson to determine whether to capitalize on this opportunity and how to maximize its potential. Specifically, Veralon developed a business plan to identify:
- Jefferson’s vision for the ambulatory center at the Navy Yard
- Strategic and operating assumptions for the site
- Benefits of pursuing this opportunity relative to others
- The mix of diagnostic, medical, and procedural services that would best meet the needs of 12,000+ (and growing) Navy Yard employees, future Navy Yard residents, and adjacent South Philadelphia communities
- How to most effectively consolidate Jefferson programs located at the Navy Yard, in addition to those based elsewhere that could be well-suited to operating in a comprehensive, accessible, ambulatory center
- The alternative space configurations for services and programs identified as appropriate for the building
- Estimated volume of services performed by specialty over the next five years and related physician and other staffing requirements
- Estimated revenues anticipated and investments required, yielding an overall estimated financial impact
- Estimated timeline for fitting-out the space, constructing a parking garage, and opening to the public
The Jefferson leadership team and board approved the business plan and voted to move forward with expansion at the Navy Yard. Veralon is currently working with Jefferson to transition from planning to implementation, and construction is anticipated to begin in early 2017.