Ambulatory Care Planning
A well-planned ambulatory care network is critical to viability in the new value-based and consumer-oriented health care environment. Ambulatory care is your organization’s “face” and its most common touch point. As ambulatory care volume grows and inpatient declines, some health systems are earning half or more of their patient revenue from outpatient services.
Veralon can help your organization develop ambulatory care programs that target the right mix of convenient, effectively distributed, and well-coordinated ambulatory services, with exceptionally planned facilities.
Our experience in all facets of ambulatory care development and planning mean we can help you maximize the benefits of existing ambulatory strengths, capitalize on emerging growth opportunities, and cultivate lasting competitive advantages. We have helped our clients design and deliver high-impact ambulatory care for more than 15 years.
We tailor our ambulatory care planning services to meet the specific needs of your organization and market; they can be as focused or comprehensive as desired. Our services can help you address:
Network Design/Facilities and Services Portfolio
Veralon can help you shape the geographic and service portfolio, and the space and operations plan, for your ambulatory care/physician locations or networks.
- Network design, including site location, service portfolio by site, and where sites should be consolidated, co-located, or developed de novo
- Specialty and ancillary services for each site, as needed to serve local populations and draw patients from a broader area
- Space planning and design, including determining space requirements and configuration alternatives for existing and/or new ambulatory care sites, facility prototyping (as desired), and functional design
- Staffing and operations planning at a sufficient level to develop budget estimates for the sites and network as a whole
- Retail strategy, addressing the potential for partnerships with retail sites to provide limited services at their locations; or to serve as a back-up provider for their own on-site services
Financial and Operational Feasibility
We will work with you to maximize the financial viability of your ambulatory care portfolio, by providing:
- Volume and financial projections based on network design
- Scenario planning, to determine the sensitivity of the financial projections to potential changes in reimbursement, volume, expenses, etc.
- Guidance on make/buy/lease decisions including evaluation of potential partnerships, acquisitions, or leases
- Acquisition transaction valuations. Veralon can handle any required valuations, with opinion statements where required
- Plans for clinical integration and improved quality of care
Network Integration and Performance Optimization
Veralon can help you transform separate ambulatory care initiatives into a single integrated network “tuned” to optimize competitive, productivity, and financial performance. We may address:
- Network integration strategy, including management and operational structure, information technology, relationships between specialty physician across locations, cross-locational promotion, and others.
- Integrating ambulatory care and acute care strategy
- Guidance on care model redesign
- Maximizing the benefits of ambulatory care for value-based payment
- Revenue optimization, including assessing revenue cycle indicators, productivity, and charge capture, among others
- Alignment with independent physicians, including opportunities for collaborative physician arrangements
- Business arrangement development including professional services relationships, and co-management, practice, and lease arrangements
- Organizational structure and leadership including provisions for multi-site management and accountability for operations of individual sites