Orthopedics Planning and Development
An aging population, baby boomers who expect to do more at later ages, increased rates of obesity—these are all anticipated to increase patient demand for orthopedic services. But changing market dynamics and the continued prevalence of influential independent orthopedic practices will lead to increased competition, requiring innovative strategies and focused execution for continued success in orthopedics.
Veralon can help you strengthen your market position and grow your orthopedic service line with a range of initiatives, including:
- Developing an orthopedic service line strategy or new business plan
- Assessing service distribution and rationalization across newly merged entities
- Expanding your orthopedic service area through ambulatory service development
- Assessing the market and financial impact of the shift of joint replacement and other procedures from inpatient to outpatient
- Optimizing your response to Medicare and commercial payer bundled care
- Assessing and pursuing affiliations, partnerships, and joint ventures
Veralon can provide guidance across a range of orthopedic service needs. We will tailor our services to fit your specific project requirements, addressing such issues as:
- Orthopedic service line planning and development that addresses both the inpatient and growing ambulatory services component of orthopedics. Work may include market assessment and demand projections, financial analysis and modeling, care model development, assessment of medical staff productivity, facility planning and development, feasibility analysis, refinement of service line governance, and marketing and branding.
- Joint venture/Partner selection and co-management to help you respond to the potential challenge of competing with your own independent orthopods. Work may include establishing criteria to evaluate potential partners, evaluating partners with those criteria, conducting financial analysis and modeling, and preparing a feasibility study for the venture.
- Post-affiliation integration planning that helps to integrate orthopedic services and optimize performance after a merger, acquisition, or other affiliation. Work may include creating an inventory of orthopedics initiatives; identifying gaps, conflicts, and synergies; developing a plan to integrate initiatives; evaluating and optimizing the combined ambulatory care network; and addressing cross-continuum (ambulatory/acute/post-acute) care.
- Value-based payment planning and optimization While uncertainty surrounds federally-based bundled payment programs, there are still opportunities to pursue voluntary and private insurer programs. Veralon can assist with analyses and data management tools to make your program a success, including opportunity assessment, performance management, pricing analyses, supply chain analysis, care redesign guidance, financial impact analyses, ongoing data analytics and support, and post-acute care network development.